Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday Song

Sadly, I can't find a video for today's Sunday Song, which is "Baby" by Lost and Found. You can listen to the song on their MySpace Page, which I would really recommend. For those of you who don't venture over (or maybe even if you do), I wanted to post the lyrics here.

Her shaved head and her pierced nose,
Her big rotweillers and her tie-dyed clothes,
Her Dr. Martins with her biker tights,
Her long black leggings on a hot summer night.

And nobody calls her baby,
Nobody says "I love you so,"
Nobody calls her baby,
I guess she'll never know.

His working boots and flannel shirts,
His sympathies buried as deep as his hurts,
Long lonely walks with nowhere to go,
His only appointment's with a tv show.

And nobody calls him baby,
Nobody says "I love you so,"
Nobody calls him baby,
I guess he'll never know.

Eighty pounds, she's hardly whole,
Losing her body to gain some control,
Hours alone in some tanning salon,
Trying a smaller and smaller size on.

And nobody calls her baby,
Nobody says "I love you so,"
Nobody calls her baby,
I guess she'll never know.

His Pin-striped suits and wing-tipped shoes,
His lap-top computer and his Wall Street news,
He makes his plane and keeps his pace,
He hides his pain behind a poker face.

And nobody calls him baby,
Nobody says, "I love you so,"
Nobody calls him baby,
I guess he'll never know.

But somebody loves those babies,
Somebody loves what we can't see,
And if somebody told them maybe,
Those babies would be free.

For me, this song has always resonated deeply. I think it speaks so clearly to the way that the Christian church as a whole can be rather exclusionary and sometimes make people feel like unloved outsiders, when really, our message should be one of love and grace to EVERY person that we encounter. There is NO place to dark for God's light to reach. There is no sin too "bad", no sin to many. It doesn't matter where you are or where you've been, the hope of freely receiving God's unconditional love is always there. As a Christian, it's my hope that I can portray THAT message rather than a message of exclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.