Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Weeknight Enchiladas

Okay folks. I'm gonna share the famous enchilada recipe, because I noticed a few comments about how enchiladas are a lot of work. Yes, if you use Pioneer Woman's excellent enchilada recipe, they are a lot more work than it's worth on a weeknight. Excellent, but not worth it to me when I've worked all day and am hungry THEN. So, this is a quickie version of enchiladas. These are not authentic enchiladas, but they're gooey balls off cheese love. Like most things I make, the exact recipe varies by what I have on hand. Here's what I did last night:

Pre-heated the oven to 350. Cracked open a can (10 oz) of red enchilada sauce (El Paso or Old Victoria taste the best to me). Poured a little of the sauce into the bottom of an 8x8 glass Pyrex baking dish.

Next, I pulled out some leftover (pre-cooked) ground beef. I tossed a bit of beef, a bit of onion, and a bit of shredded cheddar cheese into a wheat tortilla (soft taco size). You could just do cheese, or do chicken and cheese as well. I rolled it up, and stuck it in the baking dish, and repeated until the baking dish was full of the roll-ups.

Now comes the fun. Dump the rest of the enchilada sauce over the top of the roll-ups. They should be totally coated. Crack open another can of enchilada sauce if need be, but make sure that you still have 2-3 inches left above the roll-ups and sauce in the pan. Next, sprinkle LOTS of cheddar cheese over the sauce. Really, LOTS. Cover the whole dang dish with cheese. Then add veggies--I used diced tomato, diced green pepper, and jalepenos. Use whatever you have and like. I usually add black olives, and more diced onion, but I was out. Sprinkle MORE cheese on top.

Pop in the oven for about 30 minutes. Cheesy, roll-up goodness.

2 comments:

  1. Yummm I love enchilada sauce. This is how I make them too- lots of cheese and whatever meat & veggies I have on hand. But the cheese and enchilada sauce is the most important part.. :-P

    Oh! I use the little packet to make the enchilada sauce- add tomato sauce and water- done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound great. I will have to try them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.