Monday, May 17, 2010

Garden Update

So, we finally have almost all of our garden starts in the ground. So far, none of them have died, which I consider a huge success because due to an unfortunate accident (LONG STORY), most of our starts got sunburned. You can see it best in the green beans picture. However, they have new growth that is green, so I'm hopeful that they'll make a full recovery. We shall see.

Overall, we have marigolds (which are a natural pest repellent and companion plant to most all plants), corn, several kinds of lettuce, green beans, cucumbers, radishes, carrots, tomatoes, green peppers, cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, banana peppers, jalapenos, sugar snap peas, watermelon, strawberries, raspberry bushes, and canteloupe. Whew!

We also have about 20 square feet left, and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I will probably do more marigolds in 5 of the square feet, and then basil, dill, chives, oregano, and mint in another 5 (one plant per sq foot). I don't use rosemary or cilantro much, and I'm allergic to lavender, so those are out.  Justin thinks we should do another 5 sq feet (5 plants) of tomatoes...but we already have 10 plants of tomatoes, plus an upside down one. I think we will have PLENTY. I'm kind of thinking of getting more varieties of peppers because I've heard a lot of people only get 1 or 2 peppers per plant. Any recommendations?

7 comments:

  1. Mensch, I want watermelons...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is awesome that you have so many things in your garden. I don't have a green thumb, so this is just amazing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although there may not be a use for them, I loved the sunflowers we grew in my garden growing. They're so happy and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We grew bell peppers last year and got one on one plant and two on the other! If you love peppers, more plants is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressed!!! Can't wait to see the fruits, er...vegetables, of your labor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It looks good! Some of yours even look better than mine and mine have been in the ground forever already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm, what about squash? zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.