Thursday, March 6, 2014

Today.

Today, I am excited about an upcoming trip to Portland! My sister has been away in training to become a flight attendant, and practically our whole family is going up for her graduation soon. I can't even tell you the last time that we went somewhere or stayed in a hotel, and I am SO. STINKING. EXCITED for it. Plus, we will probably go to Ikea. Guys, I have never been to Ikea. The only bummer is that I will probably want to bring home thousands of dollars worth of stuff, and the reality is that I will be lucky to work a fun blanket into the budget. I am still so excited!

I am listening to this. For the hundredth time. Today. I don't mind this version though...I have always loved The Roots...they are my happy place music.


I am thankful my Mom's Group. Becca is such a pill to leave anywhere with anyone, and it is honestly really hard for me to leave her in nursery while she's screaming, but I'm always so glad that I do. 

I'm itching to finish a quilt that I've been working on, but I have been *slammed* with other things to do. I feel like we haven't had a day "off" (and at home) in a long time. 

I'm secretly writing something. There's been a story that I've dreampt (dreamed? been dreaming?) of lately, and I think it's...a good premise, but I don't know how it ends. I always wonder when I read books whether the authors knew where they were going all along, or if it just kind of evolved. This is probably going to sound super pretentious, but sometimes as a reader, I think I can tell the difference. And I think I like the stories where the author always knew where they were going better. So, it scares me a little to (a) say that I'm writing something and (b) to be writing something where I don't know where I'm going. Whether it's a short story or a novel or what. But I'm writing it anyway, even if it's only for me. 'Cause I think it's a story that I would like to read, and also because it's kind of haunting me.

I'm feeling so much more stable emotionally since we've been working out regularly again.  I'm learning that exercise is so important for my mental health, and I just feel a lot more sane when we do it. I've been dealing with some crazy amounts of insecurity lately, and I've been surprised that it's even seeming to help with that. 

I am excited about all the books that I've been approved for recently on NetGalley. I mean, reading new books before they actually come out in exchange for writing a review? Count me in. If I could figure out a way to get paid to read books all day long...I think that would be just about the best job in the world. I haven't figured that one out yet, so this is the next best thing. In fact, my plan for this afternoon is to lay Becca down for a nap, curl up on Lizzy's bed, and read while supervising her cleaning up her room.

The only thing that would make it better would be a margarita ;)

4 comments:

  1. Have fun on your trip! I used to live to read - what happened to me? Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd buy whatever you wrote. Just wanna put that out there. Also, I don't know about a lot of other writers because I never read those writing memoirs, but SK is constantly talking about how when he's writing, even if he has a rough idea of what's going to happen, the characters take off on their own and go their own ways. So maybe that's what's happening? Anyway. I'm reading the dumbest book right now. Which drives me CRAZY because I can't just walk away. Ugh. And thanks for the video, my oldest (eldest?) loved it.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd buy whatever you wrote. Just wanna put that out there. Also, I don't know about a lot of other writers because I never read those writing memoirs, but SK is constantly talking about how when he's writing, even if he has a rough idea of what's going to happen, the characters take off on their own and go their own ways. So maybe that's what's happening? Anyway. I'm reading the dumbest book right now. Which drives me CRAZY because I can't just walk away. Ugh. And thanks for the video, my oldest (eldest?) loved it.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no, no, let the story take you where it will. I have so many friends who are great writers and they always say that the story surprises them. This happened to me too and it was a constant source of joy and wonder.

    All joys to you,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.