Friday, December 16, 2011

Read Outlander. Now.

{Don't you wish you knew where you could actually buy it for $3.99?!}

A little over a year ago, several people recommended that I read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (not to be confused with the terrible movie or not-at-all-terrible vehicle by the same name). I immediately dismissed the suggestion because (a) I don't usually like sci-fi, time traveling stuff, (b) I don't usually love that period of historical fiction, and (c) I REALLY don't enjoy romance novels.

I know, I'm picky when it come to books.

Anyway, much to my surprise, Outlander kept being recommended to me, even by people whose taste in books I totally trusted. And so, sometime last winter, I requested the first book of the Outlander series from the library. And I have to admit--I spent much of the first book wondering 'what were they thinking?!' There was much of the book that I didn't agree with, or was just plain difficult to read. But somehow, by the end, I found myself loving it. Loving.

And then I requested the second book. And the third. And the fourth. And so on, all the way up to the last book that's been released (the seventh), and I'm desperately awaiting the next book to be released.

It's a little bit difficult to explain what's so infectious about these books, but I'm not sure I've come across anyone who didn't like at least the first one. I think it has something to do with the fact that Gabaldon creates characters that you genuinely come to care about--I know this is probably going to sound totally wackadoodle, but even now (a good six months since I read the last book), I sometimes find myself thinking "Oh, that's something Jamie would say," or "I wonder what Jamie would do?" And let's just be honest--I'm not usually into romance novels, but these were pretty hot. 

Jamie and Claire felt like real people to me. Friends, even. And, I miss them.

  (This quote is attributed to Paul Sweeney)

 I know some people (like my husband) can re-read books over and over again. Not me. I can count on one hand the number of fiction books that I've re-read in my life. In fact, there are four--To Kill A Mockingbird, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, 1984, and Outlander. And of those, NEVER before have I come across a book that I love so much that I'll just pick it up and read a random passage. But I find myself doing that often with Outlander. In fact, I'm considering re-reading the entire stinking series. That's how much I loved it.

I know they're big books, but they FLY by. And if you're not sure that you're ready to commit to reading seven books, know that you could stop after the third book (Voyager), and it would feel like you were at a point of resolution.  Seriously, if you love to read, you have to give this series a shot. 

Have you read it yet? 

15 comments:

  1. No, but it's on my to-read list. Like you, I've heard people go crazy over this series so I figure it's time to jump on the bandwagon [after I finish The Hunger Games trilogy].

    I might have asked you this before but have you ever read this (http://www.lizcurtishiggs.com/Fiction/Thorn/thorn.htm) series by Liz Curtis Higgs? It's my all time favorite and one of those series where you miss the characters terribly after you read the last page. I would HIGHLY recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh... I just finished Voyager a couple weeks ago and I'm itching to start on number 4. I keep thinking that I should read something else in between, but I just don't really want to. I've got to say though, sometimes I feel like I don't appreciate my husband as much when I'm spending so much time with Jamie ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on the 5th book and I love the series too- even though each book is GIANT I can't stop reading them and think about them when I'm not reading. It's amazing to me that Outlander was the first book she ever tried writing- way to hit the nail on the head the first time! It'd definitely an awesome series!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE Outlander! All of my co-workers read it and we are all waiting on the next book:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha people KEEP recommending it to me, but I have been skeptical as well.


    we'll see. I have to return Jacks library books this week, so maybe Ill at least pick it up

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read them all MANY MANY times (in fact for outlander I have 2 paperback copies, the kindle version and the unabridged audio version). I started reading them back in high school (early 90s) so there weren't nearly as many books but I now re-read the whole series before each new book comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read it yet, but, based on your recommendation, I think I'm going to. =) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree with your assessment of Outlander! I am obsessed with the series and have read it more than once.

    I really wish they would make a movie(s) on the series. If done right, man. Can you imagine?! Though I don't think anything could live up to my expectations. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading your first post on Outlander, I was able to borrow a copy from a friend. I really enjoyed it and recently started the second book!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Outlander is AWESOME! I'm choosing to slowly savor the series. I've only read the first 3 books.

    Have you read any of the Lord John books? The Scottish Prisoner just recently came out and it's about Jamie :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and I'm also the same way with not re-reading books. I just have too much I want to read! I'm not into re-reading the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone recommends to me that book as well, especially as I have moved to Scotland from NYC. I think I might just take your advice and order it on Amazon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've looked at it several times, but the size has always scared me! You have me convinced now! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Read them all, you won't be disappointed! My most treasured books in my library. Outlander is one of the best books I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I started reading this series back in the late 90's, and it is, without a doubt, one of my favorite series of all time. If you enjoyed this series, I highly recommend the, "Into the Wilderness" series by Sara Donati. It is breathtaking & beautifully written.

    P.S. I just found your blog today, & I am amazed at the common ground we share. I will definitely be coming back.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.