Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Things That Make No Sense--Volume 1


 I've been noticing that with increasing frequency, the Kindle version of books cost more than the paperback version.  Here's a sampling of books that I looked up on Amazon today:


Her Fearful Symmetry (Audrey Niffengger): Paperback $5.42/ Kindle $11.99
The Other Boleyn Girl (Philippa Greggory): Paperback $10.88/ Kindle $12.99
Bossypants (Tina Fey): Paperback $10.87/ Kindle $12.99
The Help (Kathryn Stockett): Paperback $8.99/ Kindle $9.99
One Upon A Time There Was You (Elizabeth Berg): Paperback $10.20/ Kindle $11.99
The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted (Elizabeth Berg): Paperback $10.20/ Kindle $11.99
I Am the Messenger (Marcus Zuzak): Paperback $8.79/ Kindle $9.99
Sarah’s Key (Tatiana de Rosnay): Paperback $8.93/ Kindle $9.99

To me, this makes no sense--there are no printing costs associated with a Kindle version, so what could possibly justify charging more for a digital file than is charged for the paperback version, which requires paper, ink, etc?! I have yet to see a reasonable explanation for this phenomenon, and until I do, I REFUSE to purchase Kindle versions of books that are priced higher than their paperback versions. Take that. But seriously, isn't this a little bit laughable? It just plain old doesn't make sense.

6 comments:

  1. Really good point. My husband and I have been toying with the idea of buying a reader. This makes me think maybe we shouldn't. I still love the feeling of a book between my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddd...that solidifies why I don't have a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so stupid! They should cost LESS even, not more!! It doesn't cost anything to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I totally agree! My husband and I have epic debates about this issue. We have differing opinions on it.

    Does your library have an eBook lending program? The one my library is affiliated with is called Overdrive. I know a lot of libraries are starting to lend eBooks. I think you can even pay to be a member of libraries that do this... maybe a library in Philadelphia? Also, Amazon has a lending program that comes with their Prime Membership. It's like 1 book a month, but if you'd use the membership for other things it could definitely be worth it!

    Anyway, you might know these things already, but I thought I'd toss them out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got a Kindle for Christmas and I was noticing the same trend while browsing for books. and not only are you receiving a book without the cost of ink or paper, but you don't have to worry about shipping prep either. makes absolutely no sense to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.