Saturday, May 23, 2009

Sunscreen Rave

Those of you that know me well know that to say I have sensitive skin is an understatement. Things that most people don't even have to worry about (like the buttons on their jeans) are a daily issue for me. Facials are out of the picture, as are using any sort of product without testing it on a discreet part of my skin first. I'll never forget the time in high school that I tried using a self-tanner and proceeded to break out in a rash over my entire body.

Anyway, sunscreen has also been an issue for me for a long time. I've tried hundreds of sunscreens (YES, I've tried the Neutrogena brand...which I know most people love, but it doesn't work for me), and the problem was that they'd give me a chemical burn, which was worse than the burn that I'd receive from the sun if I didn't wear sunscreen at all. On the other hand, I don't want to expose my skin to the damage that un-blocked sun can do. So last year, I finally went to the dermatologist. She told me that some people are highly sensitive to the preservatives in sunscreen, and suggested the La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX sunscreen. I believe it's actually a daily moisturizer that includes an SPF, so you could use it as sunscreen. It's pretty spendy (20-30 for about 3oz), but let me tell you...since having it the past year, I have not been burnt once. And I only have to apply once a day, about 30 minutes before I'm outside. It's incredible, and I HIGHLY recommend it if you tend to burn easily!

4 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about with the buttons on jeans. Not fun with a weird looking circular rash right on your stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you do have sensitive skin! Maybe even more than me! Can you wear band-aids? They always burn me. But I have yet to have a problem with jeans. ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little nail polish on the back of your buttons will fix that jean problem :) I try to do it with colored nail polish so I can tell when it wears off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister has the same problems with sunscreen that you do...I will let her know about this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.