Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What I Read in 2011

I can't believe I read 51 books in 2011. Holy COW. Rocking Lizzy to sleep for her naps has done wonders for my reading time! You know, it's interesting--last year I read only 26 books, but once I identified my favorites, they represented roughly 30% of the total. This year? We're at just about the same percentage. Is that weird or what?! Anyway, my favorites are in bold below. And I'd love it if you'd tell ME your favorite book that you read in 2011!

#1- Voyager by Diana Gabaldon
#2- The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris
#3- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
#4- Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels
#5- The Story Jar by Deborah Bedford, Angela Elwell Hunt, and Robin Lee Hatcher
#6- Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon
#7-The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
#8- Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo
#9- The Freak Observer by Blythe Woolston
#10- The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
#11- The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg
#12-Under the Dome by Stephen King
#13- Midwives by Chris Bohjalian
#14- The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
#15- Posh by Lucy Jackson
#16- Rescue by Anita Shreve
#17- A Jane Austen Education by William Deresiewicz
#18- The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard
#19- Little Bee by Chris Cleave
#20- If I Stay by Gayle Forman
#21- Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld
#22- A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
#23- Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
#24- Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos
#25- What Happened To Goodbye by Sarah Dessen
#26- A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon
#27-Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
#28-The Kid by Sapphire
#29- Pretties by Scott Westerfeld
#30-The Girl Who Fell From The Sky by Heidi Durrow
#31- These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf
#32- Room by Emma Donoghue
#33- Bitter in the Mouth by Monique Truong
#34- Slow Love by Dominique Browning
#35-An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon
#36- The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood
#37- 31 Days to Clean- Having a Martha House the Mary Way by Sarah Mae
#38-The Bake-Off by Beth Kendrick
#39- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
#40-Food Rules by Michael Pollan
#41 Sweethearts by Sara Zarr
#42- Friendship Bread by Darien Gee
#43-Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst
#44-Love at First Bark by Julie Klam
#45- In the Woods by Tana French
#46- The Likeness by Tana French
#47-Faithful Place by Tana French
#48-Little Face by Sophie Hannah
#49-Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close
#50- Matched by Allyson Condie
#51- Divergent by Veronica Roth

And here's my list from 2010:

#1- A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
#2- The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve
#3- The Myth of You and Me by Leah Stewart
#4- The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve
#5- Talk Before Sleep By Elizabeth Berg
#6- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingslover
#7- Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
#8- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
#9-Island of Lost Girls by Jennifer McMahon
#10- The Boy In The Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
#11- The Next Thing On My List by Jill Smolinski
#12- Blue Shoe by Anne Lamott
#13- The Help by Kathryn Stockett
#14- The Girls by Lori Lansens
#15-Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
#16- Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
#17- Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
#18- A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve
#19- Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
#20 The Host by Stephenie Meyer
#21- Never Tell Our Business to Strangers: A Memoir by Jennifer Mascia
#22- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
#23- Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
#24- The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton
#25- Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon
#26- Hector and the Search For Happiness by Fracois Lelord

9 comments:

  1. I LOVED Divergent (I finished it right before Christmas) and Matched. I read the second book in the Matched trilogy, Crossed, and found it highly disappointing. I also just finished Inheritance, the fourth book in the Inheritance cycle (starts with Eragon), which I found better than all the previous books. I've found them to be overly-detailed and ponderous, but this one didn't feel quite like the previous three. I also really enjoyed The Fiddler's Gun, which I read much earlier in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've read a lot of the same books over the last two years and I see some of my favs highlighted as your favs! I love seeing that other people have enjoyed the same books I have!

    This year I read 44 books. I don't know if I can pick just ONE favorite, but those that topped my list would be:

    The Bronze Horseman (trilogy, but TBH was my favorite from the series) by Paullina Simons

    A Game of Thrones (Book One of Fire and Ice Series) by George R. R. Martin - surprising fav!

    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

    The Passage by Justin Cronin (first in a trilogy, book 2 is due out in 2012)

    Unbroken by Lauren Hillenbrand - I just finished this one last week and I think it completes my list of favs from 2011

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Help was definitely my favorite read from 2011!!

    - Shauna life.love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh Elizabeth Berg. I've read every single one of her books and love them all so much!

    My favorite book of 2011, hands down, was "11/22/63" by Stephen King. I cannot sing its praises enough. People are irritated with how much I keep talking about it but it was so, so good. Better than "Under the Dome." And that's saying something because as soon as I read "UtD" I christened it my second favorite book of all time. "11/22/63" beats it by a million!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a lot of great books this year - I liked The Mighty Heart, The Middle Place, 32 Candles, The Girl series, The Hunger Games series. And I loved Girl in Translation (it was a late-2010 book, but it's worth mentioning).

    Have you seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movie? Ryan and I just saw it for our anniversary (not the most romantic choice) and thought it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm fairly certain I read Cormac McCarthy's Cities of the Plain in 2011, and it was excellent as ever. Bloodlands: Europe Between Stalin and Hitler by Timothy Snyder is all the rage in Holocaust studies circles now, and it was pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with you on #s 11 & 19 -- loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hm, favorite book of the last year...It was a slow reading year for me. I liked Faithful Place, but I had the mystery figured out about 30 pages in. Onto a better 2012 of reading..I'm adding a bunch of your books to my goodreads queue right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.