Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Blast from the Past.

Yesterday, I came across this post on BlogHer about a blogger who got sued for using a photo that she didn't own on her blog. Even though she took it down as soon as requested, she still had to pay what sounds like some big bucks. Anyway, she mentioned that you're actually able to be sued, even if you've given a photo credit to the photo's proper owner (which obviously poses major issues with Pinterest, but I kind of feel like burying my head in the sand on that one for now). And that scared the ever living daylights out of me, and I got it through my head that I needed to go through every single 1250+ posts dating back to 2007 on this blog right there and THEN, or else I would surely get sued.

I tend to be black and white to a fault sometimes.

Anyway, I just about wanted to delete everything from 2007 and 2008 because probably 95% of it is complete garbage. But, they still tell the story of who I am now, so I largely refrained...aside from a few posts that just didn't make sense without the photos I was removing and/or could potentially hurt the feelings of others, and shouldn't really have been posted in the first place. I have to admit, going back through the archives was sometimes kind of cringe-worthy for me. There were lots of posts where I was a jerk. But there were also lots of posts where I was me, just as I am today. And? There were also some really hilarious ones, like that time where I got turkey guts in my eye, or when I looked like I'd been severely beaten after a garment rack fell on me.

Or this post, which I felt like perfectly summarized the hilarity and absurdity of being a new parent

I also came across this photo of my niece Payton from 2008:


And  I was SHOCKED at how much she looks like Lizzy to me, because I don't always think they look super similar now! I also laughed out loud, because I feel like this is a face my kiddo makes on the regular.

Sometimes it's fun to look back...even if it makes you cringe a little ;)

But anyway....I'm still just starting to get into 2010, and I'm having to remind myself that there *is* some gray area after all. For example, I doubt Old Navy is going to sue me for posting a photo off of their website and saying, "OMG I love this dress from Old Navy and want to buy it immediately!" Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm betting that's not as big of a deal as just pulling random images from Google Images.So, I'm still working on it.

9 comments:

  1. Ohmygoodness, this scares me. I never thought about problems that coup come since I always attempt to provide the source. Insane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember when that almost happened to me about my birth photography post with AMPLE credit? Such a different perspective on it now that I'm a photographer.

    Also, I've already done a couple of purges through the archives as more and more family found their way to my blog, so I COMPLETELY understand the cringeworthiness. SO glad I'm not that person any more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! And I agree, I've wanted to delete my 2008/2009 posts, but I don't know if I ever will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, I didn't know someone could sue even with proper credit given. Not sure I have the energy to go back through all my posts, guess I'll just have to cross my fingers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh. I feel like I should go back and take out a lot of pictures and things from past posts....

    ReplyDelete
  6. WELL. I just went and deleted all my google photos. Thanks for spreading the word- better safe than sorry!

    Good think I've only been blogging for a year, so not much to get rid of :)

    I can't wait to look back and see how I've grown as a writer and a person, it's a wonderful thing to have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This whole thing is so ridiculous to me. The internet is made to trade things and share things and the fact that some people are threatened by this enough to sue people that comply with their requests to take down their pictures is just ludicrous. Why send a take-down notice in the first place if you're just going to hunt them down and sue the pants off of them afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just printed off my first year of my blog into book form using Blurb. I wanted to delete the year from Blogger, but wanted to save my memories for myself and my family...the good and the bad. Just thought I'd mention it...it's actually pretty reasonably priced. I love the book and will do it with the other years, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meredith!!! I've missed out on your blog, and had to go back and read everything I missed, I hope things have calmed down at your end, you're in my prayers as always! I so relate to rereading things written ages ago and being like "This is so embarrassing!". Ah well, it's who we were. Absolutely ridiculous to have to take pictures down if they have the credit -- that's free advertising!! Bah, I wouldn't care if there was a credit attached to the photo. But clearly some people DO mind. argh.. I hope things continue to smoothen out, and park visits are less eventful!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.