Tuesday, January 15, 2013

On Video Killed the Radio Star & Other Things

I kind of wanted to title this post "Instagram killed the Blogging Star", but worried that like Jennifer Lawrence's quip about Meryl Streep at the Golden Globes, the pop culture reference would be lost on many, and then y'all would think I'm too big for my britches.

But really, it has kind of killed my blogging. I'm finding that things I would've blogged about before, like the hilarious story of trying to teach Lizzy how to pedal a bike yesterday....I've already shared on Instagram, at least partially.

And on one hand, I LOVE Instagram. Because it's easier. It always comes with a photo, which I love. And most of all, it's faster. And when your house looks like this...

...and your toddler doesn't nap anymore, and your baby eats every 2 hours, and your husband has worked 6 out of the last 7 days and will work 6 out of the next 7, and you just took your first shower in four days, and you haven't managed to eat your food or drink your coffee while it was still warm in a week, and you haven't even watched Bones (and you KNOW it's bad if I haven't even managed to watch the ballroom dancing episode on my DVR yet)....well, faster is better.

And I love Instagram for that. I love that I'm still able to know what's going on in your lives even if I only have 5 minutes to spare. I love seeing your photos, because photos straight up speak to my soul. Instagram is amazing for that.

But, as the type of person who learns by writing, I also tend to process by writing. I write my prayers in a prayer journal. I still fire off long missives to my college roommates Lisa and Sara on a semi-regular basis, especially if I'm trying to work through something. I crave that writing at times, and I hate not being able to do it on the regular, if only for my own sanity.

I think I quipped to Leah a few weeks ago that with Instagram, it's like texting every day with a friend versus the meeting for a two-hour dinner once every few months that is the blogging world. I'm not sure which is better. Sometimes, the quantity brings about a different type of closeness. Sometimes, it's more important to have that quality. I don't know that one is better than the other--they're just different. And that's okay.

And if you're on Instagram and we haven't connected yet? Let's do. Because in this season? It's about all you're getting ;)

8 comments:

  1. I'm a visual one - loving the instagram! My username is cuhil! I'd love to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I feel the same way. I love IG. I'm obsessed with it. But I share a lot of the same stories/photos on my blog because I know not all of my readers share my obsession :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the title! I think the blogging community has gone the way of instagram, and I kind of like it - more real time. I mean, I just blogged about a vacation I took in October whereas I Instagrammed it 3 months ago. I've basically fallen into just commenting on yours and like three other blogs, which pretty much defeats the purpose of building a blogging community, you know? I've been wondering if I should just call it on the ol' blog lately, but can't quite get there. I'll be interested to see how it plays out over the next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Instagram, but I've definitely seen a decline in my blogging since I started. And I really want to blog more, because it's more about our family in words and not just pictures.

    P.S. I totally know how you are feeling with your husband working 6 out of 7 days. My husband has been on that schedule for nine months, and I feel like I need a vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same way. And life has been so... blah... lately, I feel like I haven't even shared on IG, much less my blog!

    But, I also want to continue blogging for so many other reasons. I just need to make it a priority again... especially in this SLOW (almost boring) season of life we're in right now, I really have no excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nailed it--couldn't agree more about IG taking over the blog world. Time is of the essence (or something) and it's just too easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. I find myself even using Twitter less because of IG. Sometimes it just so much easier. Plus I get more comments there than on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so hear you about blogging v. Instagram! I also seriously love instagram! It's so quick and easy and AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.