Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bacon? In A Cookie?

I could have SWORN that I took a picture of these, but alas, now I can't find a photo anywhere. So, I apologize for the lack of photos on this post! Anyway, I made Brown Butter, Bacon, and Chocolate Chip cookies for Justin and our dads on Father's Day.

I already knew that bacon and chocolate pair well together thanks to Lillie Belle Farms (which was apparently on Oprah's Favorite Things a few years ago, but I just know it as a Southern Oregon Staple) and their Chocolate Covered Bacon (they add a bit of cayenne and sea salt, and it is YUMMY in my humble opinion, but I also love their blue cheese truffles too).

We took them to a BBQ for everyone on Justin's side of the family, and most people were pretty suspicious, but I didn't end up with any to take home, so I guess they liked them. They didn't really taste like bacon to me--they just were a little salty/sweet.

You can find the recipe here on Mouth From the South along with awesome step by step photo instructions. The only alteration that I made was to pop the cookie dough in the fridge for 5 minutes or so before baking.

Additionally, I'm kind of a food storage freak, so I researched the heck out of whether or not these cookies need to be refrigerated. The most consistent answer that I found was that they can be kept out on the counter for two days before needing to be refrigerated....but if the thought of keeping bacon out of the fridge creeps you out, then just pop them in the fridge from the get-go!

What about you guys--does bacon and chocolate seem like a good pair, or are you grossed out by it?

8 comments:

  1. Just reading this post kind of made my pregnant tummy hurt... Haha :) I do love me some bacon and chocolate, just not together... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a vegetarian and a chocolate lover so this post kind of made me cringe...in a good way! My husband would love it though!

    p.s. I love your blog! So I added it as one of my links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bacon and anything sounds like a good paring to me :D

    But yes, I've always wanted to try some of the sweeter bacon applications like cookies, or chocolate dipped bacon. It would probably be super tasty!

    Sometimes, I make brown sugar bacon and my husband LOOOOOVES it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It cracks me up when people freak out over the bacon/chocolate combo. If they tried it, they'd realize it's not that big of a deal. Ever heard of sweet/salty mix?...Kind of like pancakes and bacon. Or peanuts and m&m's.

    But yes, I've eaten chocolate covered bacon and love it. We have it at our State Fair and so far I've gotten it every year since it debuted :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of mixing bacon and chocolate! Hmmm this intrigues me and maybe I'll have to make them someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely sounds nasty. But don't knock it til you've tried it I say!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE chocolate covered bacon. We make some at the restaurant I manage and it is so delicious.

    These cookies look fantastic... can't wait try them!

    Oh, and also... I made Bacon Waffles from Joy the Baker awhile ago... they were scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds really good, actually! One of my favorite local doughnut shops offers a maple glazed doughnut with crispy bacon on it. It's quite delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.