Monday, January 11, 2010

More Lizzy...








First of all, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers over the past few days! We appreciate it all more than you could know. I wish that I had better pictures to show right now, but the lighting at the hospital wasn't very good and I just don't have the energy to take any others--but you KNOW that will happen in good time!

So basically here's the story: I woke up early Sunday morning and felt a really bizarre "pop" noise, that I was pretty sure was my water breaking.I tried to wake up Justin, which was a feat in itself. Once I did finally wake him up, I asked him to put a load of dishes in the dishwasher, and told him that I wanted to take a shower and blow dry my hair. I think Justin thought that I had lost my mind, but just went along with it. I was in the shower when contractions became coming fast and furious--about 3 minutes from the start of one to the start of the other. I quickly realized that I would NOT have time to do my hair, and we booked it to the hospital.

We arrived shortly after 5am, and I was dilated to 4cm. I requested the epidural ASAP--I seriously had never felt pain like that in my life! It took about 1.5 hours for the anesthesiologist to come, and I literally thought that I was going to die. I couldn't for the life of me remember how to breathe. The epidural was absolutely fantastic--I have the utmost admiration for those who deliver naturally, but this experience solidified for me that I have absolutely no desire to be one of those people! The epidural was great because I could still feel all the pressure, but not pain.

Once they gave me the epidural, I was pretty sure that I was almost ready to push. I don't think the nurses really believed me because it took quite awhile for them to check me again. But once they finally did (maybe around 8am?), the nurse was pretty surprised to learn that I was fully dilated. After that, we did some practice pushes, and then pushed for somewhere between one and two hours. And then at 10:25am, when I literally didn't think that I could push any more, she was born. And it was incredible. Hearing her cry and seeing the look on Justin's face were literally the best moments of my life so far.

Funny little tangent here--Justin's best friend and soon-to-be-brother-in-law (Stump)'s birthday was yesterday. He was born at about 11:25 am, and the doctor that delivered Stump was the same doctor that delivered Elizabeth yesterday (it was the on call doctor, not our OB). And the on call doctor actually remembered Stump, because he was the biggest baby that doctor has ever delivered--he weighed like 12 pounds!

Anyway, the first night was a little rough due to some feeding issues, and me being in lots of pain due to several different tears and the fact that I seriously puffed up from the IV fluids. But we're hoping that tonight will go a little more smoothly. And I'm off to nap!

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers--they mean so much to us!

28 comments:

  1. She is too flippin' cute! I love those pictures. That is a great story...one that Lizard will love to hear you tell over and over as she grows up. Congratulations Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's so tiny and cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. she is perfect, and you look so happy. congrats to you and justin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! She is so cute and I can't wait to see more pictures. You all look so happy. I hope everything continues to just get better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness.... I think I want to call my husband and get pregnant right now! haha she is so so so perfect and adorable! congrats Mere & Justin! what a blessing! You'll be in my prayers and I hope you're feeling better soon! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I love all of her hair! She is so beautiful! I'm so glad everything went smoothly and I pray your recovery will be short and easy. Isn't it funny how no one warns you about the puffiness- I assumed that because I wasn't swollen when I went in, I wouldn't get swollen. Well, that was before they pumped me full of those IV liquids! haha Enjoy little Miss Lizzy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cutie! That hat she's got on is so stinkin' adorable! Love all her hair too. Congrats again and I hope you recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is so itty bitty, I love it. I wish I could check out her tiny little hands and feet...luckily for me you are bound to take some kick ass pictures when you are back in the flow. Congrats Mere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! What a little angel! And Mom, you look gorgeous and so happy!

    Congrats congrats congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is gorgeous! Congratulations again! Can't wait to see more pictures. Glad to hear you are all doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's tiny and beautiful! Congratulations again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love her little outfit! :) I can't wait to see her in August! What a snuggly little baby! Oh and LOVE LOVE LOVE the birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! Elizabeth is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is she not the most perfect little thing you've ever seen? Ohhhh I'm in full on baby fever mode all over again ;) What a beautiful pair you two make, Meredith. Rest up so you have energy to take more photos...you know, with all of that spare time you're going to have...HA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way cool, dude. And she is most cute. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations Meredith!!! Little Lizzy is just precious!!!
    Weren't the contractions horrible? I seriously did not know what to expect and holy lord I do not want to feel those again for a long time. I can't wait to see more pics of you and Lizzy, enjoy her! It's hard to believe our little peanut is three weeks old already.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll be honest- those pics make me a little teary eyed! She's beautiful and you look fantastic. Congrats again!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. AHHHH! What a tease, I must see more! :)

    I'm glad you had such a positive experience! I hope that your recovery is quick, the baby to kiss sure does help ease pain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aaaaaah!!! She is too cute! And I love that hat! Mmmm...makes me want to have a girl.

    Meredith, you look fantastic too, though I think Lizzie steals the show. :o) I'm so excited you had such a positive birth experience!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness gracious. :) How precious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohmy- Congratulations! She is beautiful. So tiny and so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LA GUAGUITA MAS LINDA DEL MUNDO!!! Sorry, but Spanish says so much better how I'm feeling.

    And tell me...do you now have a fully realized and experienced understanding of why I put contractions in two categories? :)

    And finally if your little angel is napping...get some sleep Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations - she's absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. She is so beautiful! Congratulations! You and Justin look like naturals!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Uh there's giraffes on that onesie. And another animal that really looks like a hippo. I might cry.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. she's precious in every way. congrats again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.