Sunday, January 17, 2010

One Week

Are y'all tired of the baby talk yet? I promise that I'll get back to having other things to talk about eventually, but right now, it's pretty much all baby...because my life pretty much revolves around this beautiful little girl!

-I cannot believe that it's been a week since she was born! It's been both the shortest, and the longest week of my life. It was an absolute blessing that Justin took the week off of work (even though I think he's going stir crazy now), because despite the inability to wake him up sometimes, he has been a huge help through it all. In fact, I don't think that I even changed a diaper until yesterday. He has been so active in taking care of Lizzy, that several doctors and nurses have made comments about how nice it is to see the dad being involved. And he made cookies yesterday! I really can't love on J enough right now--he's been absolutely wonderful.

-The past week has pretty much felt like it consisted of feeding Lizzy, and then maybe napping for an hour before I'd need to feed her again. She was a bit jaundiced, so the doctor wanted me to feed her every two hours round the clock, whether she was crying for food or not. Lizzy girl apparently sucked on her tongue in utero, which has sometimes made getting her to latch a challenge. Basically, the first few days, it would take almost the entire two hours to get her to feed...I'd have just enough time to grab some food and run to the bathroom, and then I'd have to start the process all over again. And I don't care WHAT the lactation consultants tell you, but it HURTS. A lot. Even when you're doing it right. And your uterus contracts the whole time you're feeding. And I felt like my boobs were punching bags for frustrated Lizzy, who already has a killer right hook. And feeding typically means sitting, which really hurts.

Anyway, as of our jaundice check yesterday, the doctor said that she looks much, much better. So I think that I may let her direct how often she feeds a little bit more now. Which will hopefully mean a little more sleep for me as well.

PS- I unfortunately had a really terrible experience with the lactation consultants at our hospital, that resulted in quite an argument. There's a story in there, but the moral is that I quickly learned how to vocalize the fact that I am the parent, and that I get to make the decisions when it comes to Lizzy. It's a valuable lesson that I encourage all pregnant mamas to learn quickly! 

-Despite what I'd read, I was not prepared AT ALL for post-partum recovery. Anything and everything hurt--sitting hurt, laying hurt, going to the bathroom hurt. Getting in and out of the car hurt. And I was not prepared at all for the amount of bleeding that continued days after giving birth. And I was (and still am) still just extremely, extremely swollen in my arms, feet, and face. Apparently, they gave me a huge amount of IV fluids--I had 4+ bags in the 6 hours that I was in the labor and delivery room, which my nurse and doctor friends tell me is really quite a ton. Basically, I was just always uncomfortable. Some days, I just cried. The recovery aspect of things was absolutely terrible.

-From day 1 at home, SIDS has scared the crap out of me. I know this isn't something that I can control, but I still wake up several times a night in an absolute panic.

-But despite all the hard stuff, there is so much that's absolutely wonderful as well. Lizzy already knows my and Justin's voices--if she's crying, we can comfort her in a way that other people just can't. Her favorite thing is to lay on our chests, near our heart. She'll sleep that way for hours, just making happy little sighing noises. There is nothing better in the world. She's also remarkably alert for a baby--she will just look around with her eyes wide open, and make these adorable little faces that are just so darn expressive. Already, she has such a personality! It's absolutely incredible, and has made the aforementioned things which were really, really hard, totally worth it.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for an HONEST post about post-pregnancy. I hope you start to feel better soon. Post of pics of that Lizard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! So candid, but still so beautiful!

    I'd never be tired of the baby stuff! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the baby posts! The whole post-partum aspect is kind of scary, but I am glad to read about it..

    I hope you keep recovering. I can't wait to see more baby pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto. It seems like no one ever talks about the personal stuff about pregnancy and childbirth, so thank you! Hope your recovery goes quickly and smoothly so you can focus on your baby girl without any pain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww. I love all the baby talk! My best friend just had her first yesterday, and we just got home from visiting them in the hospital. Now my baby fever is in full effect and I love everything baby, so talk away! :) I can't wait for my turn. :) I am glad you were able to quickly speak up about who is the parent. I've heard horror stories, so I agree that this is something, it seems, that is great to pick up right away! I'm so happy things are going otherwise really well and happily for you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry you are having a difficult recovery! It is tough.
    I agree with Brittany- I love hearing about baby stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, I agree with the other girls, I love the baby stuff!!! I love that you're being so honest! I hope you start feeling better soon, I can imagine that's all pretty painful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sweet and real meredith...I love it. I had some friends who hurt SO bad for dayssssssss after, and others who just needed an ice pack and were good to go. I think the length of time must just be different for people? Either way, you're a champ--and that whole feeding every 2 hours sounds like a pain!--but, its all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hang in there, it definitely gets better (and more fun). Please get yourself an AngelCare monitor - it is a lifesaver for peace of mind, it really is!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't agree more with your post Meredith!!!! The first few weeks are just a huge roller coaster of emotions, there is just no way to prepare for it as much as people try to explain how it is. You are not the only one going through the joys and pains of new motherhood. And yes, breast feeding does hurt, I still have issues with it and I am starting week 4 tomorrow and Jill's latch has been pretty good. Hopefully it will get better for both of us soon. Good for you for sticking to your guns with the lactation consultants.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nah, baby posts are cool. It's not like it's really exciting or anything. Hehe.

    Feel better and such.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even with all the scary/painful/exhausting things in this post, more than anything, it just makes me so excited to have Bug here.

    I hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post about the first week of parenthood. Keep the baby talk coming!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bleeding is going to get better in about another week.

    The SIDS paranoia will get better in a few more days when you grow accustomed to finding her breathing in the morning. She just seems more fragile than she is at the moment but it WILL get better. I remember trying to stay awake whenever she was asleep and quickly lost that battle because I wanted to be sure she was breathing.

    And you'll also get used to the constant feeling of a hangover without the fun beforehand.

    And she's going to do things that make your lungs swell up so you cna't take a breath and it will all feel worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am also not tired of baby stuff--totally get it that this will be the most important thing on your mind right now, rightly so. I hope you get less puffy and start feeling a bit more normal. Also hope J doesn't say any more nasty things in his sleep haha. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I am new to BlogHer and I am going through others blogs trying to get to know people! I love your blog and I hope it's ok if I follow you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.