Thursday, April 23, 2009

Me? Running?

Let's be clear--I've always hated running. Even when I was playing basketball, rowing--basically in the best physical shape of my life--you wouldn't EVER find me going to just take a jog. I have bad ankles and bad knees, and in my life running has always equaled lots of pain.

However, I started reading about the Couch To 5K Program a few days ago. After the initial dread of even reading about a 5k (while rowing, we often did 5 and 10k's and they were AWFUL!), I found myself nodding and nodding. Basically, the premise is that you need to work into running, rather than go as hard and fast as you can the first day. Well that sounds like a no brainer--why didn't it ever occur to me before?

So, today I tried Week 1, Day 1 of the CT5K program. Basically, you jog for 60 seconds and walk for 90 seconds, and repeat that pattern for 20 minutes. I never realized how much of running is mental for me. Even though the workout was markedly easier than the workouts I've been doing on the elliptical or spin class, I still found myself thinking "I can't do this!". I really had to work on focusing on my breathing and thinking positively. And you know what? Overall, it wasn't that bad! I'm actually kind of excited to do it again! Though I REALLY need to figure out an iPod situation--I'm thinking about begging Justin to let me buy a shuffle or some other cheapo music player. They're only like $45. I don't know if I can do this for 3 weeks with no music waiting for my battery to be replaced!

Anyway, don't get me wrong...I don't know that I'll actually be signing up for a 5k or a 10k anytime in the near future, but I AM looking at ways to diversify my workouts and add some running. So far, so good!

6 comments:

  1. It's a great program. And this is coming from someone who HATES HATES HATES running. I actually started to (gasp!) like it. Like it a lot. Well, like-it-a-lot-5k-wise. Not 1/2-marathon-or-something-wise. ;)

    And yes, you need music to get through it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally understand about it being mental. I hate running so much. So much. And, it's all in my head.

    Good luck! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I can't believe I'm still sticking with this running thing. But I think I really need to just concentrate on my breathing and DRINK MORE WATER! I still plan on running a 5k on June 6th, so we'll see how it goes. Good luck! I totally need to get an iPod shuffle or something too. What I have just isn't working for me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are we twins? I play the same mental game while running, but always feel good afterwards. I'd suggest an ipod nano - if you get serious you can hook it up to the Nike plus system, and I personally prefer being able to choose my playlist and songs. But I do have a shuffle and it's compactness is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that program. Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love a running convert! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.