Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Upcoming Books to Movies

I don't know about you, but if I'm going to read a book-turned-movie, I've gotta do it before I see the movie, or I just can't ever seem to get through the book. So, I thought I'd highlight a few books that will soon be hitting the big screen and might have floated under the radar in the wake of the big name releases like Breaking Dawn and The Hunger Games--check them out if you haven't already!

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Snippet from the Publisher's Synopsis: Seemingly as different from one another as can be, [three] women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed.Would I recommend the book?: YES. Please read it immediately if you haven't already.
Big Screen Release Date: August 12, 2011




The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson
Snippet from Publisher's Synopsis: Harriet Vanger, a scion of one of Sweden's wealthiest families disappeared over forty years ago. All these years later, her aged uncle continues to seek the truth. He hires Mikael Blomkvist, a crusading journalist recently trapped by a libel conviction, to investigate. He is aided by the pierced and tattooed punk prodigy Lisbeth Salander. Together they tap into a vein of unfathomable iniquity and astonishing corruption.
Would I recommend the book?: Yes, I did enjoy them though the first was a bit slow in parts.
Big Screen Release Date: December 21, 2001




The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Snippet from the Publisher's Synopsis: This is the story of what it's like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. Through Charlie, Stephen Chbosky has created a deeply affecting coming-of-age story, a powerful novel that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller coaster days known as growing up.
Would I recommend the book?: I loved this book as a teenager, but it's been years since I've read it, so I'm not sure whether or not my recommendation would still stand. I can tell you that its one of the most controversial books in recent history and so its probably worth a read for that reason alone. I can also tell you that my favorite quote from a book ever comes from Perks of Being A Wallflower.
Big Screen Release Date: Sometime in 2012


We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
Snippet from the Publisher's Synopsis: Eva never really wanted to be a mother—and certainly not the mother of the unlovable boy who murdered seven of his fellow high school students, a cafeteria worker, and a much-adored teacher who tried to befriend him, all two days before his sixteenth birthday. Now, two years later, it is time for her to come to terms with marriage, career, family, parenthood, and Kevin's horrific rampage in a series of startlingly direct correspondences with her estranged husband, Franklyn. Uneasy with the sacrifices and social demotion of motherhood from the start, Eva fears that her alarming dislike for her own son may be responsible for driving him so nihilistically off the rails.
Would I recommend the book?:  Yes, but with reservations. This book deals with some heavy-duty subject matter. HEAVY. I seriously thought I might throw up on several occasions while reading this book. So, it's a good and important book, but not for everyone.
Big Screen Release Date: This movie was a golden-child of sorts at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival. I'd bet it will release in the US in 2011 or early 2012.


What do you think? Any books-turned-movies you're looking forward to seeing on the big screen?

11 comments:

  1. I am SO EXCITED to see The Help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh- i read the perks of being a wallflower way back in high school too. It was one of my first books I read with a reading club. It was my first "adult" book too- with the content at least. I had no idea they were going to make a movie out of it. I am stoked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am super excited about seeing The Help but so far the trailers 'feel' totally different than the book did. I'm hoping its just the trailer producers trying to make it seem 'funnier'.

    I haven't read the dragon tattoo series yet. I was fortunate to find the series at Goodwill a while ago and got all the books for $6 so they are waiting for me on the shelf. I've got so many books I want to read first though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you blogged about this, because I wanted to take a couple of books with me to the beach...and I'm going to get the first two you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess I should finally go back and read "We Need To Talk About Kevin" all the way through. Sigh...I just couldn't get into it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read "We Need to Talk About Kevin" because my mom told me it would upset me. I just called her to see if she still had her copy and alas, she doesn't. But she couldn't believe they were making it into a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mere- I absolutely can not WAIT for "The Girl" trilogies. Have you checked them out in subtitles?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree about having to read books before they become movies! Seeing the movie totally ruins the book for me because I can't get the movie adaptation out of my head as I read! I really like seeing movie adaptations of books I've read though.

    I've read the first three and interestingly enough We Need to Talk About Kevin is in my TBR pile :) I had no idea Perks of Being a Wallflower was being turned into a movie! I really enjoyed the book.

    I just finished reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, the movie adaptation is either out already or coming out soon. Also, Life of Pi, which I just read is supposed to be coming out in 2012, I believe. I'd recommend both books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love movies on book that I love... I have "The Help" on request at the library. I am going to have to check out the others - I have never read any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I basically have to see The Help while I'm in the US. I mean, of course I can see it here also.... but can we see it together? Do-able?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super excited about The Help. My girlfriends and I read this book last month and are going to see it together when it comes out.

    I'll have to try the dragon tattoo next.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.