Friday, July 30, 2010

What RAW can do for you...

I'm often asked whether I shoot in RAW or JPEG. And honestly, I do both. Around the house, shooting pictures of Lizzy and whatnot, I typically shoot JPEG--they're easier to process, and typically I'm not doing much retouching to those shots. However, when I'm doing an actual shoot (like for Kev's senior pictures), I usually shoot in RAW. Or sometimes RAW + JPEG depending on the day and the shoot.

Shooting in RAW offers several benefits--I don't have to worry about white balance, because I can adjust that after the fact. Additionally, it allows me to easily make tweaks that I think makes a photo really dynamic. For example, take this shot of Kevin:


It was one of my favorites from the session. But it didn't look quite like this straight out of the camera. It looked like this:
I knew that the sun was going to wash everything in the foreground out a bit, but I also knew that by shooting in RAW, I'd have the capability to get some of that color and vibrancy back. 

A lot of photographers take this, and run with it for a very desaturated look, but I didn't think Kevin would be crazy about that, so I decided to try and add some color and depth through the RAW version.

Initially, I think the shadows were around a 10 or so. I bumped them up until they looked right to me--about a 37 or so. I don't recall if I also bumped up the contrast and saturation--it was mostly about the shadows.


Adjusting the shadows slider is my FAVORITE trick to giving photos some nice dynamic range. Give it a try sometime--I'm sure you'll like what you see! 

PS- I believe that the Canon software that comes with the camera also has a RAW editor that lets you work with RAW versions, so you don't necessarily need Photoshop to give this a try!

4 comments:

  1. I shoot almost exclusively in RAW and love it!! It can make such a big difference! But I didn't take RAW on until I really knew everything else about my camera! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just wondering this the other day, thanks for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great explanation - I only shoot RAW and although it takes me a minute to process them, it's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! I have never shot in raw, but I like what you have done. The editing part is what I am so unsure of in pictures. What software do you use?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.