Thursday, May 26, 2011

30 in 30--My Own Special Way.

Many of you are probably familiar with the 30 in 30 Challenge from Kendi Everyday. Essentially, you pick out 30 items of clothes and re-mix them for 30 days. I believe that Kendi usually includes shoes, and other challenge hosts include accessories as well. I'm about to embark on my own special version of 30 in 30--with a few tweaks that I think will help make this more enjoyable for me personally, since it really isn't about fashion per say for me.

My goals in doing this are many:
1- To recognize the abundance with which I've been blessed ('cause let's face it...even only 30 items of clothes is an abundance).
2- To make getting dressed simpler by limiting my options to things that I love.
3- To help me see if there are any holes in my limited wardrobe that absolutely need to be filled.
4- To help me be creative with the ways that I put outfits together.
5- To cut down on my laundry, including from the clothes that I try on, elect not to wear, and then sit on my bedroom floor for a week until they're so wrinkled that I have to wash them again.
6- To give me incentive to actually get dressed.
7- To make packing for upcoming trips easier. 
8- Because maybe some day someone from Old Navy/Target/Kohls will come across the blog and say "Hm, we should offer a greater variety of clothes in tall sizes."

So, without further adieu, here's my wardrobe for the next 30 days, minus several items that are currently in the wash, which include 1 pair of jeans, a pair of black dress capris, a black 3/4 sleeve cardigan, a black long sleeve crew neck shirt, and a red ribbed tank.

StartList

And here's some of the modifications to the original challenge that I'm making for myself, to help keeps things fun for me and less stressful:
1- This is supposed to be fun. If it ends up making me cry, I reserve the right to stop or take a day off.
2- If an item is legitimately no longer the right size, I can replace it with another item that is. Same goes for any item that gets ripped or stained.
3- I am not including shoes, accessories, swimwear/cover-ups, workout clothes, or undergarments (which for me includes camis) in the count. Some days I might end up wearing my workout clothes all day long before I actually get a moment to work out...oh well, bonus outfit for me.
4- I have not filled a few items on the list. Some of these are for items that I don't own yet but intend to purchase (like a pair of shorts). Some I'm just leaving open, and may pull from my existing wardrobe as needed. Because it's my project, and I may do as I wish, the end.

9 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you!! You're gonna do great and I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only acceptable if you post pictures often! Good luck; I have complete faith that it will be a breeze. I have never done the 30-in-30, but I wear the same things over and over because I have no style. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I can't wait to see how you do. I've been contemplating this since January, but I don't think I like any of my clothes enough to take this on right now. The thing that appeals to me about this challenge is learning to accessorize for a totally different look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this looks like a fun challenge! I'll have to check out her blog too. I haven't blogged in ages, glad to be back and follow everyone again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sar--I wear the same things over and over too. Total basics all the way!

    @Emily- I don't love many of my clothes right now either, which is kind of why I wanted to do it! I want to see if I can find new love for old things and try things in new ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see your outfits and hear how it goes for you.

    I have only bought one pair of pants since before I was pregnant. My wardrobe is a mess. I keep weeding out things - but never adding anything. I am going to night to try and find a pair of pants and maybe a dress for summer... fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think its great that you are doing your own version of this! I have found that when other bloggers have done it, its super rigid and its seems like by the end people are hating their clothes instead of loving them... I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! Are you going to post pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun!!

    BTW, I tried doing my hair wavy like the video below...AH-MAZ-ING!!! Seriously heart it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.