Tuesday, May 3, 2011

BQOTD: A Kindness

Yesterday, I saw a post on Facebook talking about the age-old tradition of picking wildflowers and placing them on your neighbor's doorstep--a random act of kindness. It got me thinking about random acts of kindness, thinking that it's been too long since I've intentionally done something kind, without regard for whether I will receive anything in return. For today's Burning Question of the Day, I thought about asking what the last random act of kindness that you performed was...but then it occurred to me that glorifying ourselves and our actions is the very opposite of what random acts of kindness are about. So instead, I want to hear about the last time you experienced a random act of kindness--a kind word from a stranger, someone who held the door open for you, the stranger who paid for your coffee.

BQOTD: Tell me about the last time that you experienced a random act of kindness from a stranger. What did it mean to you?

Here's mine: On Sunday, Justin and the band led worship at a church about two hours away. As we pulled out of the church parking lot at about 6:30am, Lizzy started to fuss, and continued to fuss, scream, and yell "NO!" for the entire duration of our trip. By the time we arrived, I think we were both exhausted, and the day hadn't even begun.

Lizzy did moderately well during the church service, but began to fall apart at the very end, during the announcements. Eventually, she became disruptive enough that I needed to step out with her. We were at the front of a very, very long church, and so I elected to step into a room just off the front of the church (presumably an office of some sort) rather than carry her down the aisle and creating a bigger disruption. As I did, Justin and I caught each others' eye and smiled as if to say, 'Here we go again!'

The service ended shortly thereafter. A few minutes later, a man came up to me and said something to the effect of, 'I saw that look that you and your husband gave each other when you had to step outside with your daughter, and I could see how much you love each other. Never stop.'

A small thing really--but that little piece of encouragement was just really nice to hear after a morning filled with the shrill high-pitched screams!

10 comments:

  1. What kind words. I bet that is exactly what you needed to hear.

    My last experience was when my mom and I were returning cans and bottles at our grocery store to put the money towards our March of Dimes team. A woman was also returning and found a glass bottle in her bag and handed it to me and asked if I wanted to use it. I told her thank you so much and the .10 was going towards a worthy cause. It was so simple and only a dime but a dime that was going towards a worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gave me goosebumps. It's so nice when people notice those things.

    Mine is when a lady at church told me that I just GLOW when i'm with my daughter. Made me happy ;) She said I ooze a lot of joy espeically when with Em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww... this is really sweet. Isn't it amazing that a simple word from a stranger can really be so encouraging and inspiring?

    Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got goosebumps too! Good for that guy for saying that to you guys. I think we think things like that a lot more often than we say them out loud...

    ReplyDelete
  5. And reading this makes me incredibly glad to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That made me a little teary eyed - how sweet.

    At the grocery a few days ago, Eva was tired of shopping and I went to get in line. She started fussing and crying. She got pretty loud. A gentleman was in front of me and insisted that I go ahead. I had quite a few things and he had only a few. The whole time he entertained Eva with his pocket watch. He had her laughing the whole time. I was beyond grateful. When I thanked him profusely... he thanked me. He said that hearing her laugh made his afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jesse has been sick (so have I) and I ran to the grocery store the other day to grab some tissues and saline and a few other things. I picked up enough stuff that I had two plastic grocery bags and a case of water. When I got to the car I realized I didn't have an empty hand to open the trunk of the car. A nice guy stopped and offered to help (after 3 walked by) he said he was shocked that they all just walked by and watched my struggle. He opened the trunk for me and went along his way. It was so nice that I didn't have to worry about breaking my eggs in one of the bags by banging them into the car trying to open the stupid trunk! :)

    Also, I feel like I have to explain a little here why I wasn't just pushing my stuff in a cart. We aren't allowed to leave the commissary here on base with a cart (Or any base for that matter).... It's a pain in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spend all my time in public on a college campus, so people be holding doors all the time. I'm fairly certain someone held a door for me yesterday. Is always nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet!! It's funny that the smallest words can be so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a kind thing for that man to say! It reminds me to be more aware of how the words coming out of my mouth can affect people--hopefully for good! Thanks for sharing this. Was the ride home better than the ride to that church was? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.