Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The truth.


Sweet Leah over at marital-bless tagged me with the "Honest Scrap" award. Here's the rules:

The rules are as follows:

1) Choose a minimum of 7 blogs that you find brilliant in content or design.

2) Show the 7 winners names and links on your blog, and leave a comment informing them that they were prized with "Honest Scrap." Well, there's no prize, but they can keep the nifty icon.

3) List at least 10 honest things about yourself.

Well first of all, I breaking rules 1 and 2--I'm not even sure that I have 7 people that (a) read my blog regularly and (b) haven't already been tagged by Leah. I will tag 5 or so. Kait, Renee, Ethan, Chelsie, Lori....that means you people. Really though, if you're reading this you should consider yourselves tagged, because I'd like to hear from all of you!

Okay. Here we go.

1. I absolutely, completely love BBQ sauce. I put it on pretty much everything, including turkey at Thanksgiving. I have seriously contemplated keeping a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's (the sauce is the boss, people) in my purse so that I'll have access at all times.

2. I sometimes post on a message board about decorating and renovating, and while the girls are usually great, sometimes I get frustrated with the emphasis on having things that are in "style" rather than things that the girls love for their space. Just today, I posted about a shag-type rug that I'm thinking about getting as the big area for the living room--I was looking for feedback about how well they hold up. One of the girls responded "Do you want me to tell you they've fallen out of style before you spend your money? Sorry." My response? "Honestly, I don't really care whether or not it's "in style". My goal is not to have a house that's "in style", but rather, a house that's full of things that my husband and I love and feel comfortable in." Drives. Me. Nuts.

3. I still hate getting up at 5:30am to go to the gym. I'm pretty sure it will NEVER get easier as so many people have promised. I just love sleeping much more than I love getting up while it's still dark and cold outside.

4. In high school, I was EXTREMELY politically active. I campaigned, participated in protests, etc. I was extremely well informed and educated about the issues. However, I was also stressed out about politics all the time. Since we've been married, we haven't had any cable at all (not even the basic channels). We haven't had a paper delivered, and I have to say that I'm sort of enjoying not being bombarded with so many things to worry about. Sure, I wish that I were better informed, but a little bit of ignorance really IS bliss.

5. Sometimes I get frustrated by the fact that we don't really have many friends our age. And the friends we do have either don't live here anymore or will be moving away. The hope of meeting other couples our age has motivated me to go to the Bible Study that we've been going to more than anything else.

6. For a brief period of time in high school, I was a cutter. Most of my family and friends have no idea. I was able to pull myself out of it fairly quickly, but when things get stressful, I still sometimes have the urge. Reading the stories on To Write Love On Her Arms helps.

7. I really think that I probably need a new glasses prescription. However, I'd rather go blind than go to the eye doctor again. That's how bad my eye phobia is.

8. I've only been drunk enough to pass out once in my life, and there were mitigating factors involved.

9. It's nice to finally have a last name that people can spell.

10. My grandmother was the youngest nurse in World War 2. She wasn't even 18, and so she had to get special permission from the governor to go sign up. Initially, she was denied because she had a cleft lip, and the hurt men 'deserved something pretty to look at'. At the time, they didn't really do plastic surgery, but a local podiatrist offered to try to fix her cleft lip. She agreed, and he did a fantastic job. And so did she--she went on to head surgery at the hospital for years and years. She recently told me that she wishes she would have taken the GI Bill and actually gone to school for nursing or to become a doctor. She and I never got along when I was growing up, but now that I know a bit more about her history, I have a lot of respect for her.

6 comments:

  1. That's cool information about your Gma. Although it makes me want to hurl that she was told the soldiers deserve something pretty to look at...god forbid they have someone that is a talented nurse who might be able to (gasp!) nurse! them back to health. Stupid.

    Maybe once I finally get over the post that is going to be venting frustrations about the permit, I can get to this honesty thing. Seems like a bit of fun, and if nothing else, a great distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE! Baby Rays! I think I currently have three bottles in my pantry. And I was still tempted by the mega-pack at Sams. It doesn't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry Mere! It said atleast 7, so I couldn't stop myself lol!

    1. I'm the same way . . . except with Ranch.

    #2. I 100% agree. Thank you, straight back unupholstered chairs were once in style as well, but that doesn't mean anyone wanted to sit on them!

    #3. Sorry dear. You're doing awesome stuff for your body though!

    #5. We're doing the exact same thing.

    #6. I'm so proud of you for sharing.

    #9. I love telling people I traded up!

    #10. That is amazing to hear about your grandma. Oh how the times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love me some BBQ too...one of my favorite condiments! Now I have to get to work on my truths!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun post! We love Sweet Baby Ray's too, I found it in a 2-pack at Costco this weekend. Score! How cool about your Grandma. And I hope you buy a shag rug and love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In high school, someone very close to me was a cutter. It is very hard. the weird thing about it is that once she told me about it, I suddenly felt the desire to do so too. even though I had never had the desire before. 5 years later, when I am really mad or upset, I still have to struggle to say "no."

    It was very brave of you to share about that. It is nice to know that I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.