Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weigh In.

Okay all you lurkers....come out of the closet to weight in on this one.

Locally, there's been a big debate about whether or not radio stations should or will play Britney Spear's new song "If You Seek Amy". The reason is the chours, which goes "All of the boys and all of the girls are begging to if you seek Amy." Now, that in and of itself clearly doesn't make much sense. However, as the song is actually sung, it sounds quite a BIT like "All of the boys and all of the girls are begging to F-U-C-K me."

If you haven't heard the song, you could listen to it here. Yes, it's clever. And yes, it would probably be a great song to work out to or dance to in the clubs. However, I'm really not sure that it's appropriate for the radio.

When I was growing up, we OFTEN listened to the Top 40 station in school--in gym class, on the bus, even my parents turned it on when we were out doing errands. It was the one station that was generally upbeat and enjoyed by all. Further, since it was the radio, it was always assumed that it would be edited and appropriate for general consumption. Can you imagine if your 6 or 7 year old daughter came home from school singing the chorus to the above song?

But then again, maybe the radio just isn't what it used to be, and it ISN'T appropriate for general consumption anymore. I mean, just yesterday I turned on the Top 40 radio station and I heard Katy Perry's "I Kissed A Girl" and some other rap song talking about licking someone's lollipop. I certaianly wouldn't want my children singing THOSE songs either.

So weigh in...do you think "If You Seek Amy" should be played on the radio? Why or why not?

7 comments:

  1. So I just listened to the song and it is one of those songs that would make me blush if it came on the radio when I was with my parents or something. Definitely not appropriate for a young child's ears and for that reason alone, should not be played on the radio. That being said, I still love Britney and this would probably be a song I blasted in my headphones while running.

    P.S. I hate Katy Perry's "I kissed a Girl" song as well as the lollipop song. The radio is not what it use to be. That is for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HECK NO that shouldn't be on the radio! I would think some radio stations will not play it. However, like Chelsie said- I probably will listen to it on my headphones... because (so embarassing) I also love me some Brit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm strongly apathetic. There's the argument that, since the airwaves are public property, everything on them should be appropriate for everyone in the country. On the other hand, some folk might like more mature content, and you could argue that their freedom of speech is quashed if you don't allow it.

    Ultimately, I guess, the power of censorship is in the finger, pressing the button to change the channel.

    Most stuff on the radio is shit anyway, so I don't listen to much aside from NPR news and such. But then I like obscure ska bands and political punk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe this is my European influence speaking, but I think we edit way too much! I agree that kids can be exposed to things that we don't necessarily want them to hear via public airwaves but at the same time...words are just words.

    With that said, I would let Britney have her last few moments in the spotlight and worry a bit more about radio broadcasts that are airing Howard Stern, the 'T-Man' or songs that highlight racial or sexist inequalities...I think that stuff is a lot more damaging than anything Britney is capable of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Growing up as sheltered as I did, I definitely do not feel that this song is appropriate for general consumption!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read on PerezHilton the other day that it has been edited to say "If you SEE Amy"... which makes zero sense. Eh... whatever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.