Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Pregnancy Post: Week 21




Yep, that's right...the doctor and u/s tech both think we can now officially begin calling the baby Elizabeth! Seriously, I'm really surprised...I would have bet boy for sure! I guess "Mother's Intuition" isn't always right! I told them (half jokingly) that I might not fully believe them until another ultrasound or two confirms it's a girl--I keep hearing, "if it's a boy, you can be pretty sure it's a boy; if they say it's a girl, there's always a chance it's a boy!" Either way, we are blessed and happy.

Other than that, the doctor said that all measurements and blood work look good. The only thing they couldn't rule out (due to the baby's positioning) was a club foot, which isn't life threatening anyway.

In other news, I stayed home from work today. I'm not feeling terrible, but I still have a killer headache and a stuffy nose. And I'm exhausted. I was asleep by like 7pm last night (Justin was a wonderful, sweet husband and went grocery shopping by himself so I could go home and hit the hay)! But, since the cold/flu seems to be seriously going around my small office, I'm hoping that by staying home and taking it easy today, maybe I can prevent myself from getting the full-blown bug. After my 12 hours of sleep last night, I already feel much better, but I am just not going to push it. I can afford to lose one day of paid time off, but not an entire week like some of my co-workers have.

By the way, I was surprised at my doctor's advice regarding colds/flu, which was that I could take pretty much whatever worked for me before I was pregnant, especially Tylenol based products. He said that taking them for one or two days isn't going to harm the baby, and he'd rather have me take what works and knock the cold/flu out more quickly than not taking anything and being more miserable for a longer period of time, which would then lower my immune system even more.

He also recommended that I get both the regular flu shot, and the H1N1 flu shot, as there are LOTS of confirmed cases in my area, and the danger to pregnant women is pretty elevated. I usually don't get flu shots, but it isn't all about me this year. Plus, I trust my doctor--he seems to have a pretty good gauge about when things really aren't worth the worry (avoiding turkey and sleeping on your back for example) and when they are worth paying attention to. He told me that without a doubt, he'd recommend the H1N1 flu shot. I don't have the best immune system to begin with, y'all.

They also confirmed that I am feeling some of Elizabeth's movements, but not all. She had the hiccups yesterday all through the ultrasound, which I didn't feel at all!

Oh...and I've gained 5-7 pounds (it varies by the day). I knew I wasn't going to get away with no weight gain for much longer!

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the baby girl! So exciting. And I'm glad the rest of your ultrasound went well. Your doctor sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAHHHH! A baby girl! She's going to be beautiful!!! I'm so excited for you thus the multiple exclamation points!!! :)

    Good for you in taking a day and I'm right there with you re: the flu shots. Isaac will be too young, so Tony and I will do our best to protect him by hopefully avoiding it for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a great ultrasound and the baby girl! My ultrasound is in 6 days and I'm pretty nervous.... but also excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the baby girl! And you look adorable Mere!!

    I plan on asking my doc about the flu shots at my next appt., but it's nice to hear your doctor's perspective. Like you, I've never had one before, but I'm going to follow my doc's advice for sure this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awh! A girl! (which was totally my guess!) Sprry you're not feeling too hot right now. Hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! a beautiful baby girl she will be! =) I have been stalking your blog for the past 24 hours waiting to find out. So exciting. Let the fun begin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!! I'm very excited for all three of you! I love the name Elizabeth as well! You are looking fantastic as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! Your baby will be gorgeous. You are looking great yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is so cute, even in her little ultrasound pictures! :) The first thing my J told me when I told him it was a girl was "She is going to be so spoiled!"... Congrats again on baby girl... Now, I can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAH! A girl!!! Congrats to you but I too wouldn't believe it until you were holding your baby girl in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw congrats! I've always thought a boy first would be my preference, but little girl clothes are too gosh-darned cute!

    My boss's sister was pregant with her 2nd child, and at every ultrasound the baby looked like a girl (her first was a girl too), so they painted the room green and pink, and SUPRISE, he's a boy! I'm sure in the moment its shocking, but he'll have one of the best birth stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the baby girl, that is great news!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I KNEW it was a girl! haha Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! You must be so excited! I pray that you will be blessed with a healthy baby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. congrats meredith! little girls are so fun! (so are boys!)...It's a win-win either way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! Congrats! I'm so excited for yall!!!
    Can't wait to see how you decorate, etc!
    Prayers for continued health and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! I'm so excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations Meredith on your baby girl!!!! I love the name Elizabeth, it is beautiful!!!!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. CALLED IT!!!!!

    I'm so proud of myself.

    Congrats. And Elizabeth is a most excellent name.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.