Thursday, November 20, 2008

Oh, Turkey.


So, the thing I'm most stressed about in terms of Thanksgiving is NOT that we've just moved into the house. It's NOT that we don't really have seating for 14 people. It's the dang turkey. I've never cooked a turkey before, and there are just so many questions. I'm thinking about following PW's recipe for a turkey, but she doesn't really specify time frames. And I NEED timeframes. Plus, I'm hearing contradicting info regarding whether or not to brine pre-injected turkeys, like Butterball.

Another one that has great reviews is here. Again though, there seems to be controversy about how long to cook the damn bird for. Not to mention that I'll probably need a 24lb. turkey rather than the 12 pounder she used!

Normally, I can take a recipe and roll with it--adjust it as needed. However, I have never cooked a dang turkey before, and have never even really LIKED turkey, so I don't really know what to do here.

Faithful blog readers, how do YOU do your Thanksgiving turkey?

4 comments:

  1. Mere,

    If you need help with the turkey I will help you on thursday. Just don't forget to thaw the turkey all the way or else it will never get done in time. You pretty much need an entire day of cooking to cook any turkey all the way through, especially a 24lb one.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, no help, but good luck with that! :) Looks like you're in good hands with Renee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did mine with an oven bag :) There's a recipe on the box! Gives you specific times (I believe) and you'll need a meat thermometor! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made a turkey (a week early) (and also my first time) and it was AWESOME! And delicious!! It was the best one I think I have ever had! I will forward you some stuff that my mom sent me...it helped a lot in terms of me feeling safe about cooking the meat all the way and not killing anyone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.