Thursday, December 18, 2008

Confession--Edited


This is the only piece of Christmas decor up in our house. Nope, we don't even have our tree up. And honestly, I'm okay with that. If it makes it up, that's nice. If it doesn't, that's okay too. Justin has been so sick for so long that I'm just not going to push the issue--especially since a tree isn't that important to me anyway. I'm allergic to Christmas trees, so I don't really have any positive memories of them growing up. I just remember a lot of coughing. Sure, I enjoyed putting up ornaments to some extent, but it wasn't an activity that I actively looked forward to.

I'd much rather spend my evenings going to Dairy Queen and trying to talk them into adding chunks of chocolate into their Peppermint Blizzard.

LOL...and with THAT, I've been tagged by sweet Emily to share about my Christmas Traditions.


1. For the past 10+ years, my whole family gets together for a fancy dinner at a VERY fancy restaurant on Christmas Eve. I always look forward to it because we're all dressed to the nines, the food is GREAT, and it's the one time that we really go all out--apps, drinks, dinner, AND dessert. For that one night, everyone on my dad's side of the family plays nice.

2. We used to participate in the "German Pickle Tradition" growing up.

Legend says that the pickle, a symbol of good luck, was the last ornament to be placed on the tree. The first child to find the pickle on Christmas morning was rewarded with an extra gift left by St. Nicholas.The tradition encourages children to appreciate all of the beautiful ornaments on the tree, rather than rushing first to the presents that Santa has left them.

3. Justin's family loves to drink Eggnog with SPRITE in it on Christmas (how weird is that?!).

4. Much to Justin's dismay, if we have a Christmas tree, it has to be fake. They used to go out in the woods and cut their own.

5. Now, our Christmases look like this: Christmas Eve Dinner with my family, spend the night at my parents' house and open gifts early in the morning. We jet back over to our house to shower and exchange gifts to each other, then we head over to Justin's family and have Christmas Dinner with them. Usually, J has to work the next day, so we end up jetting home kind of early.

Now, I want to hear about YOUR traditions. Here's the deal, I'll tag you and link to your blog. Copy and paste the above image into your own blog, and then lather, rinse, repeat!

I'm tagging: Laura, Kait, Lisa, and Chelsie.


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like great fun. I really like your bowl of turqouise\blue sparkly goodness. Very attractive to my eye.

    I think that you should be expecting some long and elaborate detailing of Christmas traditions...but maybe after Christmas. It seems that my Christmas traditions are going to change a lot this year... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, please try to refrain from talking about DQ blizzards in your posts from now on. I can't tell you how that made my mouth water. MMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Christmas pickle tradition and sprite eggnog isn't even weird, it's unheard of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Leah- that sounds disgusting! I'm off to fill out MY traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't feel bad. I didn't put up a Christmas tree either this year. It wasn't worth getting all the attic crumbs on the floor when we took it out of storage. lol

    We also celebrated St. Nikolas growing up and got the typical chocolate letter of our first name in our shoes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.