Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Photography

The fall of my junior year in high school, I wanted to take yearbook as an elective, but my last name was at the end of the alphabet, and by the time it was my turn to register for classes, it was full. Like always. The only electives left? Metal Shop and Photography. I had zero desire to be in photography--who wanted to mess around with chemicals and be in the dark room? Not me....but I didn't have a choice. 

Much to my surprise, I loved everything about it. I loved the ancient old Pentax camera with film that I had to wind myself. I loved spending hours at a time in the darkroom, watching the images slowly develop before my eyes. So, for every semester after that until I graduated, I became the photography TA.


Then, I went to college. I'd mentioned to my advisor that I was thinking of minoring in photography, and somehow he pulled some strings and got me into a full upper division photography class. And then, I somehow acquired a work-study job running the darkroom. And the rest is history...

I still love film photography, and have almost a complete darkroom stashed out in our garage...but I just don't have the time for it anymore, and have almost exclusively made the switch to digital. 

I'm not a pro, and I don't have a fancy $5000 camera, but I love taking photos all the same. It helps me remember the beauty and blessings, even in the mundane. I don't think YOU need to be a pro or have a super-fancy camera to take great photos either...let's learn together. 

{Note: Photography has taken a bit of a backseat in my life lately, which I'm really bummed about! I'm hoping to start re-introducing photography tutorials here on my blog soon, but in the meantime, here's a few to get you started...}

Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.