Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Peppermint Oreo Truffles.


Aren't they pretty? They're extremely yummy too. And extremely bad for you, which is why this batch is going to my parents/Justin's work. Here's how you can create your own peppermint/chocolate/oreo goodness. Eat dessert first, and often. Lisa, you're going to love this post because it's just FILLED with our little inside jokes.

Oreo Truffles:
1. Box Oreos
2. 1 bar cream cheese, softened.
3. 1 box Baker's semi-sweet chocolate
4. A dab of butter
5. Sprinkles/ Peppermint/ Extra Crushed Oreos to top.

First, stick the whole box of Oreos in a ziplock bag. Give it many good whacks with a rolling pin until the Oreos are in little bitty bits. Next, use a fork to combine 3 cups of the Oreo crumbles with the cream cheese. Stir and mash it up until they're well combined. You shouldn't see much white--it should be mostly gray/blackish. After that, use a spoon, your fingers, or (my favorite) a small cookie scoop to scoop little balls of the oreo mixture onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Make sure to keep the bottoms as flat as possible so that they'll sit nicely on the cookie sheet. Pop the cookie sheet with the oreo balls in the freezer for about an hour or so to let those puppies firm up. DO NOT SKIP THE FREEZER STEP. Seriously, I've done it to try and save time, and it just makes a big mess.

After they've been in the freezer for at least an hour, follow the directions on the Baker's chocolate package to melt the chocolate. I usually add a small dab of butter to the melted chocolate to make it a little more smooth. Next, take one of the little oreo balls and use two forks to roll it around in the chocolate to coat. Use the fork to let any excess chocolate drain off. I usually don't worry about coating the bottom, because who sees the bottom anyway? Don't be like Meredith and attempt this chocolate-coating feat while wearing your favorite white sweats. Once it's covered in chocolate, transfer it back to the wax lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes/sprinkles/leftover oreo crumbles unless you want your truffles to look like crap--literally. Once all the oreo balls are dipped and on the cookie sheet, stick the truffles in the fridge for at least a couple of hours (I usually do all night).

Remember that these babies have cream cheese in them, so if you're giving them to other people, you should probably mention that they need to be refrigerated!

4 comments:

  1. Holy Goodness! These look fantastic! I am going to give it a go sometime after Jesse gets home :) And I wont wear my white sweats....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mere those look so good...and I have been craving Oreo's lately....mmm I wish I had some now to eat for breakfast hehe! Maybe I will try to make some of these...I was thinking about making something 'American' to give to Lars' family around Christmas, or to use at work...but the best I had thought of so far was fudge. And maybe I was just craving some chocolate haha. ;)

    I'll let you know if I have any more questions if I do attempt to make them! Miss you! (Thanks for the metaphors...equally as delicious)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I will say that I am glad that you didn't add any soy sauce to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look amazing! I might have to give them a whirl when I go on my Christmas baking extravaganza next week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting La Buena Vida and taking the time to leave a comment--I love hearing from you!

Please know that you do not need to agree with me in order to leave a comment! All comments that are respectful and not anonymous will be published. Thanks again for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.